Monty Chandler Photography

This blog is dedicated to sharing my thoughts and photographic works of the things I choose to shoot. Sharing my views of what I see, capturing them in photography and converting them into art.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Monty is a freelance photographer and avid music fan located in Charlotte, NC. He has been documenting the world through still photography for over 30 years. Monty's website is meant to both share online images and support the acquisition of prints/merchandise of those images by those whom desire to do so. Monty's travels have brought him to several corners of the world. "The ability to share these travels and my personal interests with friends and family has proven to be both an inspiration and a great source of personal satisfaction for me. Inspiration and satisfaction tend to sum up to balance which is something I treasure greatly."

Monday, July 12, 2010

Washington DC


After a couple of weeks on the beaches of North Carolina Outer Banks, we headed north to visit our nations capital. Camping at the Capital KOA proved to be a good decision as they provided a shuttle service to the Capital Building. Being our first visit to Washington we were truly "tourists".

While the signature buildings and sights were beautiful and full of history, it was the museums that I found most interesting. Looking at paintings that were created several hundred years ago, many of which documented events of the period, caused one to pause and reflect.

I did learn that you really need to plan a solid week if you want to visit all that is available. It would also be a good thing to check the weather and be sure the temps would be conducive to walking around. 98 degrees with humidity at 90% is not such a condition.

The Mall, which forms the centerpiece of the 'tourist circuit" is about 1 1/2 miles in length and insures that you don't get lost looking for the attraction that interests you. While the big items which are famous are very interesting and shouldn't be missed, don't pass the smaller memorials and sites that are all along the mall.

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Congresswoman Sue Myrick and her staff for the wonderful tour of the Capital building. The young man that took us on the tour was really nice and did a great job providing the history of the various parts of the building.

I did learn one thing - Capital Hill is really a hill and the high ground provides a little safety from flooding if the Potomac were to crest.

Here's a link to a few of the sites I photographed during the visit.

Cheers,

Monty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home